Joshua B. Green, MD received his medical degree from Penn State University in 1997.
After finishing medical school, Dr. Green traveled to South Africa where he worked in missionary hospitals as a volunteer physician, treating a rural population overwhelmed by AIDS and malaria, before beginning residency training in family medicine. Upon completion of his residency, he accepted a position in the National Health Corps to practice medicine in under-served areas of Hawai’i.
Dr. Green embraced his new home where he began working as an emergency room physician in a rural area on the Big Island of Hawaii. In 2009 was named Hawaii Physician of the Year.
Dr. Green was elected to the Hawaii State House of Representatives on November 2nd, 2004 and served two terms, spearheading the movement to provide affordable, and accessible quality healthcare for all the people of Hawaii. In 2008 he was elected to the Hawaii State Senate where he served as the Majority Floor Leader and continued to provide a leadership role statewide as Hawaii’s Voice for Healthcare. Dr. Green championed the initiative to create an insurance mandate for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and the legislation known as “Luke’s Law” went into effect on January 1, 2016. He also led the charge in raising the legal age to obtain tobacco products and electronic cigarettes from 18 to 21, making Hawaii the first state to do so. In addition to his work in the State Legislature, Green is also an emergency department physician at Kohala Hospital on Hawaii Island.
In 2018, Dr. Green was elected Lieutenant Governor of the state of Hawaii.
- 2015 Autism Speaks Legislative Champion
- 2014 Advocacy Award, HAFP
- 2013 HMA Legislator of the Year – vineo Video
- 2013 ACOG Hawaii Legislator of the Year
- 2012 Healthcare Association of Hawaii Legislator of the Year
- 2009/2010 HMA Hawaii Physician of the Year
- 2009 Legislator of the Year, Hawaii Dental Association
- 2008 Outstanding Elected Leader, Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii
- 2007 Visionary Leadership Award, American Psychology Association, 2007
- 2007 Friend of the Family Award, Hawaii Family Forum and Hawaii Catholic Conference, presented by Bishop Silva
- 2006 Kulia Award, Hawaii Primary Care Association Legislator of the Year
- 2006 Aloha Spirit Film Festival Award
- 2005 Legislator of the Year, Hawaii Psychological Association