Assistant Professor, Anesthesiology & Neurology, UCSF
Prasad Shirvalkar, MD, PhD has been engaged in Neuroscience research since 2002, completing a PhD in Neurophysiology studying hippocampal mechanisms of memory formation and retrieval.
Early in his career, he helped to develop thalamic deep brain stimulation as a paradigm to augment conscious arousal. Throughout graduate school and his Neurology residency, Dr. Shirvalkar explored motor cortex TMS and its application for motor recovery after spinal cord injury. Currently, he is developing closed-loop deep brain stimulation technology for chronic pain, and exploring noninvasive brain stimulation for pain and cognitive disorders.
Recent Sessions at Neurovations Events
2018 Neuromodulation: The Science
2018 Napa Pain Conference
- Biomarkers & Feedback Signals Influencing the Bi-directional Nature of Chronic Pain
- Shirvalkar P, Veuthey TL, Dawes HE, Chang EF. Closed-Loop Deep Brain Stimulation for Refractory Chronic Pain. Front Comput Neurosci. 2018; 12:18. PMID: 29632482.
- Wang E, Shirvalkar PR, Maciel CB, Merkler AE, Safdieh J, Gupta A. American neuroborreliosis presenting as cranial polyneuritis and radiculoneuritis. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2014 Oct; 1(3):e30. PMID: 25340082; PMCID: PMC4204232.
- Bahar AS, Shirvalkar PR, Shapiro ML. Memory-guided learning: CA1 and CA3 neuronal ensembles differentially encode the commonalities and differences between situations. J Neurosci. 2011 Aug 24; 31(34):12270-81. PMID: 21865470; PMCID: PMC3167378.
- Ferbinteanu J, Shirvalkar P, Shapiro ML. Memory modulates journey-dependent coding in the rat hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2011 Jun 22; 31(25):9135-46. PMID: 21697365; PMCID: PMC3136141.
- Shirvalkar PR, Shapiro ML. Design and construction of a cost effective headstage for simultaneous neural stimulation and recording in the water maze. J Vis Exp. 2010 Oct 13; (44). PMID: 20972415; PMCID: PMC3185645.
- Shirvalkar PR, Rapp PR, Shapiro ML. Bidirectional changes to hippocampal theta-gamma comodulation predict memory for recent spatial episodes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Apr 13; 107(15):7054-9. PMID: 20351262; PMCID: PMC2872428.
- Shirvalkar P, Bahar AS. The multiple origins and laminar topography of the hippocampal theta rhythm. J Neurosci. 2009 Jun 03; 29(22):7111-3. PMID: 19494132.
- Shirvalkar PR. Hippocampal neural assemblies and conscious remembering. J Neurophysiol. 2009 May; 101(5):2197-200. PMID: 19261704.
- Shirvalkar P, Seth M, Schiff ND, Herrera DG. Cognitive enhancement with central thalamic electrical stimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Nov 07; 103(45):17007-12. PMID: 17065322; PMCID: PMC1622923.