Section Head, Palliative Care Department, Geisinger Medical System
Professor of Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University
Progress in Palliative Care
Fellow, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
Mellar P. Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM has been practicing medicine for more than thirty years. In his role as Section Head, Dr. Davis is responsible for developing palliative care services throughout the Geisinger Medical System including outpatient and inpatient services. In addition, Dr. Davis works with the Geisinger Hospice Services to develop and coordinate care within the central region.
Dr. Davis was a member of the Cleveland Clinic Palliative Care section, Taussig Cancer Institute and fellowship director until joining the Geisinger Medical System. He was the co- chair of the Palliative Care Study Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care (MASCC) and a past board member since 2010. He is a Professor of Medicine in The Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, since 2009 and elected as a Fellow to the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine in 2010. He is Editor Emeritus of Progress on Palliative Care. His present duties include the Associate Editor-in-Chief of PC FACS (Fast Article Critical Summary for Clinicians in Palliative Care).
Recent Sessions at Neurovations Events
- Buprenorphine in the Setting of Cancer
- The Use of Palmitoylethanolamide as an Analgesic and/or Adjuvant
- Palliative Medicine Teacher of the Year
- Best Doctors in Oncology
- America’s Top Doctors for Cancer
- Fearon, K., Strasser, F., Anker, S. D., Bosaeus, I., Bruera, E., Fainsinger, R. L., … & Davis, M. (2011). Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus. The lancet oncology, 12(5), 489-495.
- Davis, M. P., Lasheen, W., & Gamier, P. (2007). Practical guide to opioids and their complications in managing cancer pain. Oncology, 21(10).
- Davis, M. P., & Srivastava, M. (2003). Demographics, assessment and management of pain in the elderly. Drugs & aging, 20(1), 23-57.
- Davis, M. P., & Walsh, D. (2001). Methadone for relief of cancer pain: a review of pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, drug interactions and protocols of administration. Supportive Care in Cancer, 9(2), 73-83.