Josh Green, MD is a local doctor, husband and father of two who has spent his life caring for Hawai’i families.
After finishing medical school, Dr. Green traveled to South Africa where he worked in missionary hospitals as a volunteer physician, treating a rural population overwhelmed by AIDS and malaria, before beginning residency training in family medicine. Upon completion of his residency, he joined the National Health Corps and started his life’s work as a family physician and ER doctor in rural hospitals and clinics on the Big Island. In 2009 was named Hawaii Physician of the Year.
Dr. Green was elected to the Hawaii State House of Representatives on November 2, 2004 and served two terms, spearheading the movement to provide affordable, and accessible quality healthcare for all the people of Hawai’i. In 2008 he was elected to the Hawai’i State Senate where he served as the Majority Floor Leader and continued to provide a leadership role statewide as Hawai’i’s Voice for Healthcare.
Dr. Green championed the initiative to create an insurance mandate for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and the legislation known as “Luke’s Law” went into effect on January 1, 2016. He also led the charge in raising the legal age to obtain tobacco products and electronic cigarettes from 18 to 21, making Hawaii the first state to do so.
In 2005, Josh met his wife Jaime Ushiroda, a local girl from Kaneohe, and they were married in 2006. Together they are the proud parents of 11 year-old daughter Maia and 8 year-old son Sam.
The hopes, challenges, and values of the families he cares for inspire Dr. Green to do more to make life better for the people of Hawai’i and he is honored to serve as their Lieutenant Governor.
Recent Sessions at Neurovations Events
2019 Kaua’i Pain Conference
- When Patient Care is Legislated
- Transitioning to Value-based Reimbursement & the Role of Health Plans in Chronic Care Management
2018 Kaua’i Pain Conference
- Pain Management, Addiction & Homelessness: Multidisciplinary Treatment Strategies
- Informed Consent & Patient/Provider Contracts; Complying with SB505
2017 Kaua’i Pain Conference
- The Intersection of Policy & Clinical Practice
- 2015 Autism Speaks Legislative Champion
- 2014 Advocacy Award, HAFP
- 2013 HMA Legislator of the Year – vineo Video
- 2013 ACOG Hawaii Legislator of the Year
- 2012 Healthcare Association of Hawaii Legislator of the Year
- 2009/2010 HMA Hawaii Physician of the Year
- 2009 Legislator of the Year, Hawaii Dental Association
- 2008 Outstanding Elected Leader, Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii
- 2007 Visionary Leadership Award, American Psychology Association, 2007
- 2007 Friend of the Family Award, Hawaii Family Forum and Hawaii Catholic Conference, presented by Bishop Silva
- 2006 Kulia Award, Hawaii Primary Care Association Legislator of the Year
- 2006 Aloha Spirit Film Festival Award
- 2005 Legislator of the Year, Hawaii Psychological Association