Co-Director, USC Spine Center
Professor of Neurosurgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
John C. Liu, MD is a recognized leader and considered one of the pioneers in minimally invasive surgical techniques for spine. He provides a key leadership role in the development of the leading multi-disciplinary academic spine program on the West Coast through close collaborations with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Liu previously served as Vice Chairman of Spine Services in the neurosurgery department and Co-medical Director of the spine center at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and Northwestern University in Chicago.
- Hsieh, P. C., Koski, T. R., Sciubba, D. M., Moller, D. J., O’shaughnessy, B. A., Li, K. W., … & Liu, J. C. (2008). Maximizing the potential of minimally invasive spine surgery in complex spinal disorders. Neurosurgical Focus, 25(2), E19.
- Wang, J., Zhou, Y., Zhang, Z. F., Li, C. Q., Zheng, W. J., & Liu, J. (2010). Comparison of one-level minimally invasive and open transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion in degenerative and isthmic spondylolisthesis grades 1 and 2. European Spine Journal, 19(10), 1780-1784.
- Wang, J., Zhou, Y., Zhang, Z. F., Li, C. Q., Zheng, W. J., & Liu, J. (2014). Comparison of the clinical outcome in overweight or obese patients after minimally invasive versus open transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion. Clinical Spine Surgery, 27(4), 202-206.
- Acosta, F. L., Liu, J., Slimack, N., Moller, D., Fessler, R., & Koski, T. (2011). Changes in coronal and sagittal plane alignment following minimally invasive direct lateral interbody fusion for the treatment of degenerative lumbar disease in adults: a radiographic study. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 15(1), 92-96.
- Wang, J., Zhou, Y., Zhang, Z. F., Li, C. Q., Zheng, W. J., & Liu, J. (2011). Minimally invasive or open transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion as revision surgery for patients previously treated by open discectomy and decompression of the lumbar spine. European Spine Journal, 20(4), 623-628.
- Moller, D. J., Slimack, N. P., Acosta, F. L., Koski, T. R., Fessler, R. G., & Liu, J. C. (2011). Minimally invasive lateral lumbar interbody fusion and transpsoas approach–related morbidity. Neurosurgical Focus, 31(4), E4.