Professor of Anesthesiology; Section Head Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
Dr. Marc Huntoon has been practicing Interventional Pain Medicine and Neuromodulation for over 26 years, primarily in academic medical centers.
He is the former:
- Chairman of the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Toledo ( 1997-2001),
- Chief of the Division of Pain Medicine at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) 2001-2008,
- Chief of the Division of Pain Medicine at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN) 2011-2016,
- Deputy Editor-In-Chief for Pain Practice.
Dr. Huntoon has published several articles in the field, including those dealing with minimally invasive peripheral nerve stimulation as well as recent guidelines for interventional pain procedures in patients taking anticoagulants. He is currently the Editor-In-Chief for the journal Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
Dr. Huntoon has delivered multiple lectures on neuromodulation topics at meetings, including the Napa Pain Conference. His has held multiple societal leadership posts including President of the Association of Pain Program Directors 2007-2009, and as the head of the Pain Education Track for the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Associate Treasurer for the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and member of the Continuing Medical Education and Guidelines Committees for AAPM.
- Deer T, Hayek S, Pope J, Lamer T, Hamza M, Grider J, Rosen S, Narouze S, Perruchoud C, Thomson S, Russo M, Grigsby E, Doleys D, Jacobs M, Saulino M, Christo P, Kim P, Huntoon M, Krames E, Mekhail N. The Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference (PACC): Recommendations for Trialing of Intrathecal Drug Delivery Infusion Therapy. Neuromodulation 2017. DOI: 10.1111/ner.12543 2017
- Deer TR, Pope JE, Hayek S, Bux A, Buchser E, Eldabe S, De Andrés JA, Erdek M, Patin D, Grider JS, Doleys DM, Jacobs MS, Yaksh TL, Poree L, Wallace MS, Prager J, Rauck R, DeLeon O, Diwan S, Falowski SM, Gazelka HM, Kim P, Leong M24, Levy RM, McDowell Ii G, McRoberts P, Naidu R, Narouze S, Perruchoud C, Rosen SM, Rosenberg WS, Saulino M, Staats P, Stearns LJ, Willis D, Krames E, Huntoon M, Mekhail N. The Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference (PACC): Recommendations on Intrathecal Drug Infusion Systems Best Practices and Guidelines. Neuromodulation. 2017. DOI: 10.1111/ner.12538 2017
- Sobey CM, Green CR, Ford LJ, Walters JL, Huntoon MA. Advancing safety in intrathecal analgesia: A novel web-based pharmacologic requisition platform and data repository for intrathecal drug delivery devices. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine 2017;42:483-487. 2017
- Benzon, Honorio T.; Lindholm, Paul F.; Huntoon, Marc A. Direct Oral Anticoagulants: Correlation of Laboratory Monitoring With Safe Interventional Pain Procedures
Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine. 41(2):123-124, March/April 2016. 2016
- Finlayson, Roderick J.; Etheridge, John-Paul B.; Chalermkitpanit, Pornpan; Tiyaprasertkul, Worakamol; Nelems, Bill; Tran, De Q.H.; Huntoon, Marc A. Real-Time Detection of Periforaminal Vessels I the Cervical Spine: An Ultrasound Survey. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2016; 41(2):130-134. 2016
- Bicket, Mark C.; Hurley, Robert W.; Moon, Jee Youn; Brummett, Chad M.; Hanling, Steve; Huntoon, Marc A.; van Zundert, Jan; Cohen, Steven P. The Development and Validation of a Quality Assessment and Rating of Technique for Injections of the Spine (AQUARIUS) Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2016;41(1):80-85. 2016
- Neal, Joseph M.; Stengel, Angela; Huntoon, Marc A. Creating, and Protecting, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine’s Intellectual Property. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2016;41(1):3-4. 2016
- Watson, JC.; Huntoon, MA. Neurologic Evaluation and Management of Perioperative Nerve Injury. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2015; 40(5):491-501. 2015
- Neal, JM.; Barrington, MJ.; Brull, R; Hadzic, A; Hebl, JR.; Horlocker, T T.; Huntoon, MA.; Kopp, SL.; Rathmell, JP.; Watson, JC. The Second ASRA Practice Advisory on Neurologic Complications Associated With Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine: Executive Summary 2015 Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2015; 40(5):401-430. 2015
- Narouze, S; Benzon, HT.; Provenzano, DA.; Buvanendran, A; De Andres, J; Deer, TR.; Rauck, R; Huntoon, Marc A. Interventional Spine and Pain Procedures in Patients on Antiplatelet and Anticoagulant Medications: Guidelines From the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, the European Society of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, the International Neuromodulation Society, the North American Neuromodulation Society, and the World Institute of Pain.Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine 2015; 40(3):182-212. 2015
Books, Book Chapters, & Monographs
- Huntoon MA. Pain Medicine Board Review. Oxford University Press. 2017 2017
- Price JR, Price MJ and Huntoon MA. Psychology of Pain: Psychological Assessment and Treatment of Pain. in Huntoon MA (editor), Pain Medicine Board Review. Oxford University Press. 2017, pp.44-62. 2017
- Covert B, Huntoon MA. Neuromodulation. in Huntoon MA (editor) Pain Medicine Board Review. Oxford University Press. 2017, pp.131-142. 2017
- Huntoon MA. Low Back Pain and Radicular Pain, in Huntoon MA (editor) Pain Medicine Board Review. Oxford University Press. 2017, pp.256-273. 2017
- Lirette, L, and Huntoon MA. “Atlanto-Axial Joint Injection: Computed Tomography and Fluoroscopy.” In: Narouze S. Ed. Multimodality Imaging Guidance in Interventional Pain Management (2016) Oxford University Press DOI:10.1093/med/9780199908004.003.0012 2016
- Huntoon, MA., Emerging Imaging Tools for Interventional Pain. Chapter 55. In Deer T, editor. Comprehensive Treatment of Chronic Pain by Medical,Interventional, and Integrative Approaches. The American Academy of Pain Medicine Textbook on Patient Management. Springer ,2013. pp. 575-580. 2013
- Patil M, Huntoon M. Interlaminar and transforaminal epidural steroid injections. In Benzon H, Rathmell JP. Eds. Raj Practical Management of Pain, 5th edition, 2013. 2013
- Van Zundert J, Huntoon M, Patjin J, Lataster A, Mekhail N, van Kleef M. Chapter 4: Cervical Radicular Pain. Evidence-Based Interventional Pain Medicine: According to Clinical Daignoses. Editors: Van Zundert J et al. London Wiley-Blackwell; 2012. ISBN: 9781119968375. 2012
- Dews T, Huntoon MA, Iahamr RL, Ningegowda L. Medical Management of Chronic Pain. Longnecker D, et al. Eds. Anesthesiology, 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill ; 2012. 2012
- Huntoon M, Benzon H, Narouze S, Deer T. Spinal Injections & Peripheral Nerve Blocks: Volume 4: A Volume in the Interventional and Neuromodulatory Techniques for Pain Management Series. Saunders; 2011. ISBN: 1437722199 2011