Today, chronic pain affects an estimated 50 million U.S. adults, and as many as 19.6 million of those adults experience high-impact chronic pain that interferes with daily life or work activities. Pain management stakeholders have been working to improve care for those suffering from acute and chronic pain in an era challenged by the opioid crisis.
At the same time, our nation is facing an opioid crisis that has seen an unprecedented rise of overdose deaths associated with prescription opioids, heroin, and synthetic opioids in the past two decades. The practice of pain management and the opioid crisis have influenced one another as they each have evolved in response to different influences and pressures. It is imperative to strike a balance between ensuring that patients with painful conditions can work with their health care providers to develop an integrative pain treatment plan that optimizes function, quality of life (QoL), and productivity while also ending the devastating effects of opioid misuse.
– HHS Pain Management Inter-Agency Task Force
- Devlin, J. W., Skrobik, Y., Gélinas, C., Needham, D. M., Slooter, A. J., Pandharipande, P. P., … & Balas, M. C. (2018). Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and management of pain, agitation/sedation, delirium, immobility, and sleep disruption in adult patients in the ICU. Critical care medicine, 46(9), e825-e873.
- Fallon, M., Giusti, R., Aielli, F., Hoskin, P., Rolke, R., Sharma, M., … & ESMO Guidelines Committee. (2018). Management of cancer pain in adult patients: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines. Annals of Oncology, 29(Supplement_4), iv166-iv191.
- Smith, E. M., Brunson, C. A., Roth-Carter, J., & Reyburn-Orne, T. (2018). 7C The Challenges of Influencing Change in Pain Practice across a Health System. Pain Management Nursing, 19(2), 104.
- Driscoll, M. A., Knobf, M. T., Higgins, D. M., Heapy, A., Lee, A., & Haskell, S. (2018). Patient experiences navigating chronic pain management in an integrated health care system: a qualitative investigation of women and men. Pain Medicine, 19(suppl_1), S19-S29.
- Horgas, A. L. (2017). Pain management in older adults. Nursing Clinics of North America.
- De Witt Jansen, B., Brazil, K., Passmore, P., Buchanan, H., Maxwell, D., McIlfactrick, S. J., … & Parsons, C. (2017). Nurses’ experiences of pain management for people with advanced dementia approaching the end of life: a qualitative study. Journal of clinical nursing, 26(9-10), 1234-1244.
March 1 @ 08:30
– 9:15 am
Lawrence Poree, MD, PhD, MPH